Contact: Susan Bowser, Communications VP
Junior League of Lancaster
1130 Marietta Avenue
Lancaster, PA 17603
LANCASTER, PA (October, 16, 2019) – The Junior League of Lancaster, PA, Inc. (JLL) is pleased to announce that the organization is now accepting applications for the 2019 Deborah P. Altman Outstanding Youth Volunteer Award.
Named for Deborah P. Altman, past president of JLL whose life exemplified a commitment to volunteering, a love of children and service to the community, the award recognizes a young person who demonstrates exceptional interest, leadership and involvement in volunteerism as well as inspires his or her peers to volunteer in their communities.
All applications must be received by March 16, 2020. Winners will be notified by April 17, 2020, and award presentation will take place May 4, 2020.
Qualifications for applying include:
- Resides in Lancaster County and will reach the age of 16 but will not be older than 19 by January 31, 2020
- Has done his or her volunteer work in Lancaster County
- Is not the son or daughter of a Junior League member
- Has at least a “C” average this year and the previous academic year
One high school student will be selected to receive the award, which is a prize of $1,800 ($1,500 monetary award for the student, and $300 award that the student can designate to a charity of his or her choosing).
How applications are evaluated:
- Quality of volunteer work (as assessed by the Awards Committee)
- Documented volunteer work
- Reference from the adult associated with student’s volunteer work
- Documented scholastic record
- Properly completed application packet
Over $44,000 has been awarded to outstanding youths in Lancaster County since the award was established in 1984.
# # #