The Junior League of Lancaster, PA, Inc. (JLL) is pleased to announce that the organization is now accepting applications for the 2020 Deborah P. Altman Outstanding Youth Volunteer Award. The award is named for Deborah P. Altman, past president of the JLL whose life exemplified a commitment to volunteering, a love of children and service to the community. Since the award was established in 1984, over $44,000 has been awarded to outstanding youths in Lancaster County.
The purpose of the award is to recognize young people who demonstrate an exceptional interest, leadership and involvement in volunteerism as well as inspiring their peers to volunteer in their communities. One high school student will be selected to receive the award, receiving a prize of $1,800 ($1,500 monetary award for the student, and $300 award that the student can designate to a charity of their own choosing).
All applications must be received by March 15, 2021. Winners will be notified by April 16, 2021, and the award presentation will take place May 3, 2021.
Qualifications for applying:
- Any student residing in Lancaster County who has reached the age of 16, but is not older than 19, by Jan. 31, 2021
- Has done his/her volunteer work in Lancaster County
- Is not the son or daughter of a Junior League member
- Has at least a “C” average this year and the previous academic year
How applications are evaluated:
- Quality of volunteer work (as assessed by the Awards Committee)
- Documented volunteer work
- Reference from the adult associated with student’s volunteer work
- Documented scholastic record
- Properly completed application packet